Mental Health Chats ♥ Self Care

quotes, mental health, and pink image

Hello everyone,


I want to start a series called Mental Health Chats, in which I want to discuss the importance of mental health and share tips on how to make the best out of a situation. When I was struggling with my mental health, I got a lot of help out of people who were going through tough times too and shared how they felt and dealt with it online. Of course I don't want to imply that my situation is/was the same as yours is, but we can always try to help each other out. That is also why I want to ask you to share your personal tips/stories with other readers in the comments below if you want to.


In this first post of the series, I want to show you how I take care of myself on days when I feel a bit crap, but not the worst. It's very important that you notice your emotions and acknowledge them. It's okay to give yourself a break and treat yourself even when you don't feel the worst you've ever felt. It's okay to feel a little bad, too, it doesn't need to be extreme.

winter, christmas, and socks image


- ONE -
Prioritise yourself.
On days where I don't feel 100% like I can cope with everything around me, I like to prioritise myself. Everything that I want on those days is acceptable. If I want to go on a 2 hour long walk, that's totally fine, but if I want to lay in bed all day and binge watch Bob's Burgers, then that is completely cool too. Also my 'healthy' eating habits are usually thrown out of the window on days like these. I will gladly eat three Snickers and a bag of Cheetos if I feel like it. Totally guilt free!

christmas, coffee, and winter image

- TWO -
Music.
Music can have such a big influence on your emotional state. 
Sometimes I like to listen to sad songs when I'm feeling bad to get me to cry and throw a little pity party. Feeling sad is okay and can be very relieving. Holding in emotions is bad for your mental health too.
Sometimes I like to blast songs with happy vibes, or songs that I associate with happy memories. They usually make me feel better instantly and will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
My favourite happy music is usually from One Direction (#guiltypleasure) (also throwback to the video diaries, I miss that time)

christmas, winter, and cold image

- THREE -
Acceptance.
Accept how you're feeling. Don't try to cover up your negative thoughts with positive ones. Instead analyse them and ask yourself why you think/feel this way. Oppressing your thoughts only makes them worse, you'll realise this once you really can't hold them back anymore and handle them irrationally.
It's okay to not be happy all the time.

grunge, sad, and tumblr image

- FOUR - 
Clarity.
One thing I have learnt during my mental health journey is that your mind can get very clouded easily. One thought led to another and before I knew it, I blew the whole situation out of proportion.
One way to prevent this is by writing your thoughts down. This doesn't need to look super organised or aesthetically pleasing, just as long as you put your thought into words. During that process, I'd usually realise that what I was thinking was not as bad as my thoughts made it seem. 
If that was not the case, then I would at least have my thoughts written out, which meant that I didn't need to constantly think about them.

study and school image
This is an example of how you can organise your thoughts.

quotes, cry, and heal image


This is all for today. I hope this helps you a little. If you have any tips, please share them below.


Love, Eva

Comments